MADSM Composition Competition
Composers can submit in one of two categories:
- Undergraduate students currently enrolled in any MADSM member institutions.
- Graduate students currently enrolled in any MADSM member institutions.
Winning composers must be able to attend both performances of their work.
Works must be 5-7 minutes in length, and written for 3-5 players consisting of:
- Flute (including C flute, alto flute, and/or bass flute)
- Clarinet in B-flat (including bass clarinet)
- Kick bass drum with pedal
- Snare drum (sticks or brushes)
- Medium Suspended cymbal
- Small Accessories found in an average high school: triangle, tambourine, wood block, cowbell, wind chimes
Works must be written to be performed at the high school level and above, loosely adhering to the American Band College Music Grades 4-5 guidelines as described here.
Scores and recordings should be submitted via Qualtrics by Friday, October 4, 2019. The winners will be announced by mid-October, 2019. Winning composers will be invited to attend any rehearsals of the piece and the workshop/recording session at their own expense. The composers are expected to attend the premiere at the MMEA conference if at all possible.
Follow the Online Application Guidelines:
- Upload one score of an original work with instrumentation selected from the above instrumentation
- Upload a MIDI recording of the submitted composition.
- The piece should be 5-7 minutes in length.
- Upload a short bio (500 words max)
- A signed note from your composition teacher or Department Chair stating that you are currently enrolled as a full-time student at your institution (this may be scanned)