Missouri Summer Composition Institute
The Missouri Summer Composition Institute (June 11-18, 2022) is an exciting opportunity for some of Missouri’s young composers to come together for one week of learning and interacting with other creative minds. The deadline for applications is Friday, May 6 at 11:59pm. All accepted students will be able to participate FREE.
We're excited to be able to again offer the camp in person this year! Accepted students can expect high-quality instruction and a face-to-face experience with our faculty, as well as presentations, workshops, and a performance/recording by renowned musicians of the [Switch~ Ensemble] who will bring their compositions to life. [Switch~] is a professional chamber ensemble who have performed at universities and festivals around the world. www.switchensemble.com
Participants will receive composition lessons from MU faculty and compose a piece to be premiered at the end of the week. In addition to the MU music composition faculty members Dr. Carolina Heredia, Dr. Stefan Freund, and Dr. Yoshiaki Onishi, guest instructor Dr. Bonnie McLarty will be joining us this year! Learn more about her and her work here: https://www.bonniemclarty.com/
The Institute is open to students entering grades 9-12 or their first year of college. Up to 16 composers will be selected to participate, where they will write brand new works to be workshopped, performed, and recorded by an ensemble of professional musicians.
The only *free* summer program for high school composers!
- live and learn on Mizzou's campus
- take lessons from esteemed faculty
- craft a totally new music composition
- hear it performed by a professional ensemble!
- Daily Notation, Instrumentation, and Repertoire Courses: Students will meet together at the Sinquefield Music Center each day for courses in notation, repertoire, and instrumentation, taught by MU’s world-class music composition faculty.
- Daily Private Composition Lessons: Each student will have daily one-on-one meetings with their composition instructor to get feedback on their works-in-progress.
- Workshops with Members of a Professional Ensemble: Members of the [Switch~ Ensemble] and other guest instrumentalists will host workshops demonstrating tips and tricks for instrumental writing, leading up to rehearsals and performances of each new composition to be premiered in concert on Saturday, June 18th at 11:00am.
- Chamber Music Rehearsals: Students will attend rehearsals of their new piece, provide feedback, and learn how a professional ensemble approaches a new work, from rehearsal to a polished performance.
- Evening Activities: Our camp staff will provide fun group activities each evening.
- Lodging and Meals: Meals will be provided by the Mizzou Campus Dining Center, as well as housing for seven nights in University Housing provided by Residential Life.
All accepted students will be able to participate absolutely FREE thanks to the generosity of the Sinquefield Charitable Foundation..
For more information, contact Managing Director Dr. Jason Thorpe Buchanan at firstname.lastname@example.org
2022 Dates: June 11-18, 2022
Deadline: May 6, 2022, 11:59pm Central
Notification Date: May 16, 2022
- Saturday, June 11: 2-4pm check-in at Discovery Residence Hall, dinner with faculty and staff at Rollins Dining Hall. Evening activity with RAs and students.
- Sunday-Wednesday, June 12-15: Classes, lessons, and workshops begin with faculty, in-person at the Sinquefield Music Center. Workshops with guest musicians, online and in person. Evening activities and meals together with faculty, staff, RAs, student assistants.
- Thursday, June 16: 12:00 sketches completed! Afternoon workshop with musicians. Opportunity to revise student compositions. Meals with everyone.
- Friday, June 17: Final deadline for completed composition, 1-5pm rehearsals, pizza party, 7-10pm more rehearsals!
- Saturday, June 18: 9:00am dress rehearsal, 11:00am concert at Sheryl Crow Hall. 16 premieres by members of the [Switch~ Ensemble]+, post-concert reception, 1:30pm checkout.
The deadline for the 2022 Summer Program has passed. Applications for 2023 Creating Original Music will open in the spring of 2023.